Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day One Hundred-Twenty One

Color... Helpful Hints


  
 
     Yesterday the scheduled postings got messed up, and posted two postings in one day... At that rate I'll NEVER keep up with my daily paintings.   I've been painting several ahead, and posting them as SCHEDULED to post the following day at 7:00 AM.   Well, for whatever reason I guess I got the dates wrong and they both posted, so 'Cherry Takeout' should have been today's post... Well, I thought I'd write a little about color, and something that I discovered while working upstairs in the room without enough light.


     I've discovered that all of my darks, (raw umber, burnt umber, paynes gray, van dyke brown) all look exactly alike, so that I'm never sure which one to use to get the color I'm looking for.   I mixed a bit of white next to the color, and in doing so it allowed me to more easily assess the colors properties.  I did that, and took a picture to show on the blog.  I made another interesting observation while doing so.  Look at the two pictures.  One was taken, putting the palette under a Natural light-bulb, like Reveal by GE..  The second, yellowish one, was taken putting the palette under a regular tungston bulb.  The tungston bulb is an average, normal light bulb.  (The tungston bulb is the one I use to light my still life)
     My point is just to explain how to better determine the color of your dark globs of paint AND that when you use this tungston bulb to light your still life you are getting massive amounts of yellow added to the mix !!
     If you don't want this yellow added to your still life- use Reveal lightbulbs to eliminate it...

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sandy!! This is VERY helpful. It reminds me that when taking photographs of paintings i need to be careful of lighting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a big difference! Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a difference. I think we are all learning how to use light to our advantage for painting and even photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great point about lighting. I have been trying out different types of bulbs too both to light my still life setup and the painting I am working on. Thanks for the good tips!

    ReplyDelete