Monday, December 13, 2010

Day Ninety-Two

                                                   'Lonely white pumpkin'

8 x 8 oil on panel
50.00 + 6.00 s + h

      Boy is plein air challenging.  I went to the studio and found this pumpkins exactly as you see him here.  He was on a little old wooden shelf that I bought to store things on, and the light was coming in Just Right !
     I knew that I had to work fast, and I SO wanted to capture the shadow, etc.  I sketched it out, and as I started the colors began to change.  The shadow completely disappeared, and the contrast of light and dark kept rearranging itself before my eyes.   The sun came back several times, to give me a little hope that it would work.  I'm not sure if I missed some highlights on the pumpkin.  I guess I could cheat and add a few in spots that seem feasible.... is that cheating?  Anyway, controlling your light is so essential !   I always realized this, but til today it wasn't so obvious WHY you do.   It was fun racing against the sun to capture the image, though.  I'm afraid the little guy is past his prime, so it will be a no pumpkin zone until next fall !

1 comment:

  1. Sandy,
    I think you did a great job. Love the colors and the shadows look good. Great painting and a fun story of your day!

    ReplyDelete