Wednesday, October 20, 2010

day forty

"Front yard find"  6 x 8 oil on panel



My friend Maxine just wrote a book about Missouri wild mushrooms.  It is a beautiful book, with gorgeous pictures, and yummy mushroom recipes, too.   She's got me thinking about mushrooms, and looking for them in my big yard.  Amazing how many I have already found.   This one my daughter and grand-daughter found in the front yard, and came inside with it, asking if I could maybe paint it.   It was very large, and had hundred of gills on the underside.  I gave it a shot, and I hope I did it justice.   (Maxine identified it for me, and I can't remember the name, but she said it wasn't very tasty, so I shouldn't try cooking it.)  My grand-daughter is very curious about finding mushrooms now, and looks all over for them when she comes to visit.


Maxine's book it called, "Missouri's Wild Mushrooms a guide to hunting, identifying and cooking the state's most common mushrooms" by Maxine Stone.  It's available from the Conservation Commission of the State of Missouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment